Monday, January 24, 2011

Biking in Nam Sang Wai


Alright, it's been almost two weeks since I arrived, and I'm not completely adjusted yet (blame the food at the Lingnan canteen...). I have been able to do a bit of exploring while also getting to know some of the other exchange and local students here.
The above photo is from a biking tour I took a few days after arriving. We went to a suburb of Hong Kong called Yuen Long to rent bikes. We then rode to Nam Sang Wai, also called the Hong Kong Wetlands. The ride was a blast, and the scenery was beautiful. While stopping regularly to sample food prepared and sold by local farmers, we met a large turtle named Wai Wai. A few of us tried to get to know him a little better by picking him up. At this point his mood began to deteriorate rapidly...

 
At the end of the ride we took turns crossing the river in a small boat and headed back into town to eat a traditional Hong Kong meal called Pun Choi, a large bowl of assorted meats and vegetables placed in the middle of the table and shared by all.

The six of us at the table were only able to finish about half of the food.

...And here's a pic of me standing next to a sign that probably says something like "This guy is most definitely a tourist."

All in all, it was a great bike tour and a good first impression of the suburban area near HK. 


1 comment:

  1. The look of the bowl has just convinced me I'm going to be a vegetarian when I get there ;) Love you babe! I'm so glad you get to have these adventures & I cant wait to share a few with you too!

    ReplyDelete